At North we collect different types of information about our users for two main reasons:
- To provide personalised services unique to individual users.
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer
There may be other privacy policies that apply to certain services we provide. Please read these when you register or subscribe for these services on these sites.
- We do our very best to protect your privacy by using security technology appropriately. We make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information, and that when we ask another organisation to provide a service for us, they have appropriate security measures.
- We will respect your privacy. You should receive marketing emails only from us. We will make sure it is clear when you can make these choices, for example, we have boxes you need to tick if you want to receive marketing. However, we may email you occasionally with information or questions about your registration, or important product notices.
- We will be clear in our dealings with you as to what information about you we will collect and how we will use it.
- We will use personal information only for the purposes for which it was originally collected and we will make sure we delete it securely.
- If we or our service providers transfer any information out of the European Economic Area (EEA), it will only be done with the relevant protection (stated under UK law) being in place.
How we use your information
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
- When you register on our sites or courses
- When you use the website
- Through cookies.
The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions.
We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, company name) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you.
After you have registered, we may send you emails we think may interest you. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to unsubscribe
Who we share data with
We will not share your personal information with others organisation for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organisations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites), some of whom may be based outside the EEA.
Some of our web pages use plug-ins from other organisations (such as the 'Twitter retweet' function). These other organisations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages. If you browse these pages while still also logged in to your account with us, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organisations use information, please read their privacy policies.
- To enable us to identify your device, once you have signed-in
- To improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience. We use other organisations, such as Google, to collect this anonymous information.
For more information about cookies and managing them, including how to turn them off, please visit our page on cookies.
Legal information and how to contact us
Under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 we have to say who the 'data controller' is for northbt.com and services provided through our websites. The data controller is the organisation responsible for protecting information and, in our case, is North Building Technologies Limited, PO Box 2673, Brighton BN1 3US.
If you would like access to or a copy of the personal information we hold about you, to request a correction, or have any questions about how we may use it or to make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Manager at the address shown above. Or, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this policy by date
June 2015: Policy reworked and updated.